Wednesday, May 9, 2018

90s Living Room Transformation- Reveal

 


The One Room Challenge reveal of our living room is finally here! My husband and I had so much fun bringing our living room into this century! Everything in this room got a makeover: the built-ins, the fireplace, the floors, and the furniture all got a much needed facelift. My husband and I did all of the work ourselves (with the exception of staining the floors), so it's always rewarding to finish a room and see all of our hard work pay off! See below for how we transformed our space.




First, here is an overall view of the renovation. Here is what our living room looked like before. You can see the old shag carpet in this picture. We ripped it up and put down hardwood floors. It was my first time laying wood floors, so that was an adventure!




Here is what it looks like after:










From another angle: Before:


After: This is a good angle that shows the gorgeous sectional that I found on Craigslist for 75% off.




One of the biggest transformations was to the bookshelves. They lacked symmetry and the flimsy shelves drove me crazy. My husband, Joseph, rebuilt the shelves on the left side with thicker shelves and got rid of the arched detail.


Before:


After:



On the right side, we took out the cabinets and built bookshelves and storage underneath. We kept the floor to ceiling shelves on the far right.




Before:






After:


We added cabinets with metal screens, so that we could put our DVD player and cable box behind them. The screens blended in nicely with the gray cabinet color. 


We replaced the old mantel with a beautiful cast stone mantel that I found on a Facebook resale group for about a quarter of full price. This was one of my favorite deals that I scored in our living room!
Fireplace Before:


Fireplace After:



There was a blank wall on the far left wall of the room, so I added some black and white photos and this gorgeous console from Wisteria to give the wall a bit more visual interest.  

We also had our shutters redone. I love the floor to ceiling windows and all of the natural light that they let in. 






Here are a couple more angles of the living room. We are so happy with how it turned out! 








Some of my favorite details from around the room: 









Thank you for following our One Room Challenge journey! Follow me on Instagram @libsykora for more room transformations throughout our house! 



2 comments:

  1. LIbby, love your living room makeover. Redoing the bookcases was a great choice. So modern and sleek. I'm featuring it as one of my 5 living room makeovers from the ORC tomorrow on my post.

    ReplyDelete

90s Living Room Transformation- Reveal

  The One Room Challenge  reveal of our living room is finally here! My husband and I had so much fun bringing our living room into th...