Thursday, April 12, 2018

90's Living Room Transformation-ORC Week 2

90's Living Room Transformation

https://www.oneroomchallenge.com/

Week 2


Week 2 of my One Room Challenge was all about the floors!

First things first: ripping up that nasty shag carpet. The rest of the downstairs has 2 1/4" wide white oak hardwood floors, so we chose a wood that would match. 

I learned how to lay hardwoods this week. My husband was super patient and a really good teacher. Here is a progress shot of the floors.


The carpet met the hardwood floors from the kitchen at a weird angle, so we had to cut some of the existing hardwoods and feather in the new hardwoods. This was a little more involved work, so my husband handled this part. Once the floors are sanded and stained, you won't be able to tell the difference between the old hardwoods and the new hardwoods.



Now to pick out a stain. I knew that I wanted a medium tone floor. I love the color of the floors in the picture below. The color is really warm and the floors aren't too light or too dark.


Design by Sarah Sherman Samuel


We mixed a couple of test colors to decide which stain to go with. I decided to go with the middle color, which is 3 parts Duraseal Antique Brown and one part Duraseal Ebony.



We let the professionals take over from here. They came in and sanded and stained our floors. We had to be out of the house for the better part of the week.

Here is the finished product!



As you can see in the last picture, we have already ripped out the old mantel. Next week we will be focusing on replacing the mantel with a GORGEOUS cast stone mantel that I found in a Facebook resale group!

Follow along here or on Instagram @libsykora to watch our living room take shape!


No comments:

Post a Comment

90s Living Room Transformation- Reveal

  The One Room Challenge  reveal of our living room is finally here! My husband and I had so much fun bringing our living room into th...